Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:minimum carry kits
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:53:25 +0100
Mike Swaim wrote:

>At the moment, I can't think of too much that would fall under the category
>of routine documentary type stuff that couldn't be done with a battery
>consisting of just a 28mm/2.8, a 50 macro, (for those odd occasions) and a
>100/2.8.

British broadsheet (ie big) newspapers have a good reputation for b&w
photojournalism, which fortunately is still alive (just). Many shots are
taken with a wideangle, and I've heard mention that a 24mm is a news
journo's standard lens. Of course, the pro's don't have just one lens! Also,
look at National Geographic, and check the number of shots taken with w/a
lenses - a lot. Something like the three mentioned above has to be the
minimalist's ideal, and it's no coincidence that in the days before good
zooms were cheap the basic outfit was 28, 50 and 135mm. While it is always
preferable to carry enough lenses to cover all likely opportunities, it's
easy to forget that, if you had your kit cut down to something like I have
noted above, you could still shoot a vast number of subjects decently.

Simon E.