Re: [OM] intro and question

Subject: Re: [OM] intro and question
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:06:23 +1000
John Lind wrote

> I don't
> recommend trying to make a shift lens do as a general wide angle.  The
> manual stop-down and sequence of steps to take a shot are too cumbersome
> for general work.

Old Australian proverb: "When in doubt, throw the instructions
away."

Now, I know it says to meter, then shift, but I fire away with
it on auto and shifted, with no ill effects. Maybe it works
because - unlike other cameras - the OM-{2SP,4} either
measures directly off the film plane or, via the submirror,
from its optical equivalent. Maybe it works because Elitechrome
forgives all. Maybe I just meter manually and shoot in
constant light more than I realize.

Because my shift lens is only SC, looks rather unweatherproof,
and allegedly has lower edge resolution than the 35 f/2,
I'm thinking about getting one of those. But not because
it's hard to use, because for me it isn't. I even quite
like the manual diaphragm.

BTW, my shift lens has 0.5% barrel distortion, not pincushion,
and I think the performance comes good by f/5.6, not f/11. It
is very, very mint, though, and maybe most of them spent their
lives banging around the back seats of estate agents' cars.