Re: [OM] intro and question

Subject: Re: [OM] intro and question
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:22:44 -0700 (PDT)
Brian wrote:
(snip)
* lastly, at the risk of bringing up well-trodden turf on this list,
what are the listie's favouries for best lens while being *most*
compact?  i'd like to add a wideangle, a 35mm, and 'praps a 100mm to my
kit.

Brian,

Welcome to the list. Don't worry about 'well-trodden turf', I'm sure
no-one minds discussing a favourite topic! My vote goes to three very
compact lenses that might suit you. None of the lenses I own has the
widest aperture available for its focal length, i.e. Zuiko makes a more
expensive and faster alternative in each case, but I chose them for
compactness as well as acceptable quality.

21mm f3.5 SC - very compact (same as 28mm f2.8) and low cost for its
focal length. IMHO ultra-wides are Zuiko's forte. I haven't found the
rather small minimum aperture (3.5) to be a problem because low shutter
speeds are very tolerable at this focal length. Results are pleasing as
long as the picture is composed with care (easy to cause perspective
'distortion').

28mm f2.8 MC - this lens has always given me excellent results in terms
of sharpness, contrast and low flare. I use it quite a lot.

100mm f2.8 SC - this is beautiful lens for portraits, just the right
focal length in my opinion. It gives good contrast and resolution and
is very compact and light. It's a bit soft at full aperture (mine is
single coated - the multi-coated version is reckoned to be better wide
open) but that's not a bad thing for portraits.

That's my 2c worth. Good luck.

Regards,

Ray