[OM] Oly rep speaks about future offerings...

Subject: [OM] Oly rep speaks about future offerings...
From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:42:54 -0500
Hi.

At my local pro camera shop, I bumped into the Olympus sales rep. I was
there to pick up an accessory for an OM camera that took more than six
months to arrive (backordered from Japan, apparently). I took the liberty
of complaining tactfully about that, but then I asked for the skinny on the
future of OM SLRs. He corroborated the consensus that has been reached on
this group - no successor to the 4T, little attention paid to garnering
more market share, no refief in sight for escalating prices, concentration
on digital cameras almost exclusively, as well as point and shoots.

He did, however, offer this:

"I'm on my way to the national sales meeting next week. The advance word on
the focus of the meeting is the upcoming push to present to market digital
cameras for the professional. We already have the $300 to $1200 market
covered, so next will be the $1200-? market to compete with such things as
Nikon's D1..."

So, it sounds like all the Zuikoholics will get to bring their favorite
lenses into the next era of photography technology.

And lastly, the rep gave me this sharp little pen with the Oly logo on it.
He offered it up like a reflex - the instant you opened your mouth to
address him, his hand went into his bag and produced the pen. Old-world
salesmanship, to be sure.

That's all I know.