Re: [OM] Zuiko teles and tele-zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko teles and tele-zooms
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:01:06 -0500
Cc: <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Ray,

I own three of the four, so I'll express opinions on those and an uninformed
opinion on the last one.

The three I own are:

65-200/4

This is a very nice, one-touch medium range zoom. It's reasonably light and,
in my opinion, quite sharp.  I like it a lot. It's also reasonably priced

85-250/5

This is a heavier two-touch. If you get one, make sure it comes with the
tripod mount.  The advantage of this lens is the 250 vs the 200.  The
disadvantage is weight. I actually like this though for Soccer as it's
pretty easy to use on a Monopod.

50-250/5

This is almost an exact match, in form, to the 65-200. You trade off a
little light (f/5 vs f/4) for a wider range. You also trade off a LOT of
money.  These are hard to find and expensive. I overpaid for mine, don't
exactly know why.  That said, I like it a lot and use it more than the other
two. It's perfect for soccer, 50 is wide enough when they're close to you
and 250 is long enough when they're on the other side.

Ignoring price, I would rank them:

1 - 50-250
2 - 65-200
3 - 85-250

Although 2 and 3 are almost a tie, and it depends on what you use it for.

Taking into account price, it would be

1 - 65-200
2 - 85-250
3 - 50-250

just because of the huge price.

Now, my useless thoughts on the 70-210.  The question is, is it a Zuiko or a
Cosina.  They're very cheap, even new, and came out with the OM2000 (I
think).  I would be just a little leery of it, but have no experience.  I
know the 35-70/3.5-4.8 Cosina zoom was my least favorite of the 35-70 and
just felt like a toy lens.

My 2 cents.

Tom