[OM] Zuiko teles and tele-zooms

Subject: [OM] Zuiko teles and tele-zooms
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Fellow Zuikohpiles,

I'd welcome opinions on an acquisition I'm planning, for some time in
the future. I want to change my current tele-zoom, a Vivitar 70-210mm,
because I'm tired of its zoom-creep and the fact that its body rattles
(I've tried peeling back the rubber grip to get at the screws
underneath but they can't be tightened further).

I'd like to stick to Zuiko lenses from now on. I'm aware that there are
four Zuiko zooms roughly equivalent to my Vivitar, namely, the 50-250,
65-200, 70-210 and 85-250. Any of these would cover my needs.
Alternatively, I could buy a fixed lens of around 200mm (I already have
50mm, 100mm and 35-70mm), if that would be a better choice.

I would typically use the lens for selective cityscape / landscape
pictures, zoo photos and the occasional candid (i.e. sneaky!) street
portrait. I use only print film, so framing is not as critical for me
as if I used slides.  Compactness, light weight and low cost are
important to me but so is quality. Does anyone have any suggestions,
preferably based on experience of using Zuikos in this range?

Regards,

Ray