Re: [OM] OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:54:13 +0200
On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:29:50AM -0700, Martin wrote:
> Hi...I'm new to the "list", but from what I've seen you people are very
> helpful and informative...I've recently
> acquired the OM-2S and I believe I have a metering problem...On the Program
> and Auto modes from 1/30
>  down the shutter remains open until I hold it up to a brighter light source
> then it closes...On Manual/Spot
>  I have no problem on the lower speeds...If I'm doing something wrong please
> correct me or if not perhaps
> you could direct me to a good repair facility...I've taken several rolls of
> B&W with very good results mostly
> in the Auto mode...Thanks in advance for any information you can give me..
> .Martin

Martin,
Congratulations to your camera!

Your Mistake is not to have a film loaded in the camera when testing ..... Am I
right ?? ....  ;-)

Try to get more familar with the unique On-The-Film (OTF)- Messurement-System
of the OM2`s.
have a look to the technical sites in the OM-Webring:
http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=olympusom;list

OTF is used in auto- and programm-mode, that`s why manual/spot is not affected.
The OTF-System messures the amount of reflected light from the film during
exposure.
But without film the OTF meassures the reflected light from the flim-back-plate.
But the film-back-Plate is black and reflect`s nearly no light. So you`ve to
hold the camara
to a brighter light source, to get some light  registerd from the OTF-System.
To make the camera to finish the exposure. Olympus added a grey cardboard to
each
OM2, etc.. which was suitable to be placed in the film-plane to simulate the
reflection of a film
Material.
Faster exposure speed´s than 1/60 s meassure on the first shutter curtain
insted of the film,
so there is no influence from the missing film reflection.

This behaviour of the camera indicates that it work propperly there is need for
repair - be lucky!

It`s not surprising that your film rolls showed very good reults in the
auto-mode.

Frieder Faig