Re: [OM] OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:56:15 -0500
At 11:29 AM 6/20/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Hi...I'm new to the "list", but from what I've seen you people are very helpful and informative...I've recently acquired the OM-2S and I believe I have a metering problem...On the Program and Auto modes from 1/30 down the shutter remains open until I hold it up to a brighter light source then it closes...On Manual/Spot I have no problem on the lower speeds

Hi Martin:

You're probably trying to compare auto with manual without having film in the camera. Put a roll in the camera and stretch it across the camera back but don't actually insert in the take up spool. Now try it and your auto exposures will match manual mode better.

The reason it behaves this way is that your camera in auto mode is actually using the film surface as part of the exposure equation at the slower speeds. Without film, the black pressure plate requires much more additional light to make an exposure.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA
<thismessagewasdeliveredviatheolympusmailinglist> <forquestions,mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <webpage:http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html>