Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition

Subject: Re: [OM] Cool photo spots--Iowa edition
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:31:07 -0500
I wrote:
>>  It can be depressing for someone like me who grew up in
>>a really cool area to be surrounded by millions of acres of agriculture.

Then BBB reamed me out with:
>Since when is agriculture not cool? When I go to the city, I get
>depressed because I grew up in a cool area (a farm) and there I am
>surrounded by people and buildings. But I manage.

I hope you all realize that this was written tongue in cheek.  My inlaws
are vegitarian cattle farmers (I guess cattle are vegitarian too) here in
Iowa.

Then John Lind wrote:
>Does this look anything like what you found with 3 ton weight limit?  It
>was miles from the nearest *State* Highway on a county section line road.
>  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om57.html

Hardly.  This bridge was one of these spindly iron things half rotted away.

Then Gregg wrote:
>When we lived in Wyoming, a friend of ours left for Kansas or Iowa ( is
>there much geographical difference) to become a Forest Ranger.  We had
>visions of all the forest rangers holding hands around the one tree in the
>state, protecting it from who-knows-what.

I've seen that tree!  For the record:  Kansas is FLAT, Iowa is more rolling.

And then my good friend Joel Wilcox piped in with:
>BTW Ken, I graduated from HS in Ames, so I DO remember the University
>there, and the Ledges near Boone.  I walked the trails with any number of
>girls and enjoyed it with each and every one. :)

That explains all of the JW+xx initials carved into the trees.  <g>

For the record:  IOWA DOES HAVE TREES!  Not many, but there are a few if
you know where to look.  Forestry really isn't that big of an industry
here.  I think it compares to scubadiving.

Ken Norton