[OM] 'Architectural photography'

Subject: [OM] 'Architectural photography'
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:42:35 PDT
Vaughan Bromfield:
This is one instance where a large format camera is better than 35mm:
architecture. Even a simple press camera like a Speed Graphic has all
the rise you'll need for the job (ideally get one with a revolving back) and the 135mm lens will be adequate. And they are very easy to learn how to use too for simple work, especially of you 1) get somebody knowledgable to show you; and 2) make a check list!<

Hi, Vaughan,

Yep, I've used larger format gear just enough to know they're superior for true architectural photography. And I have seriously considered the Speed Graphic, since they're relatively affordable. But portability, speed and minimal equipment are more important to me for now.

And I probably shouldn't have used the term 'architectural photography' since that implies perspective-corrected photography. By far most of the structures I shoot are single-storey buildings which are not badly distorted by using even a 35mm lens, especially if I can get a little elevation - like using a stepladder or standing on the car bumper! These are just the establishing shots.

The important shots are the close ups, showing the details of these structures. That's the main reason I figure the 50/3.5 macro will serve as a do-it-all (reasonably well) lens.

Lex