Re: [OM] Photodo lens sharpness ratings

Subject: Re: [OM] Photodo lens sharpness ratings
From: "Tom Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 07:37:48 -0400
Cc: lars@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jan,

Uh, I think we agree...

At 2000 June 14 - Wednesday 23:57, Jan Steinman <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
spoke about *Re: [OM] Photodo lens sharpness ratings...* saying

> >Large formats suck (sharpness-wise, not grain-wise) if you keep the
> >aperture miniscule. Wider is sharper.
>
> <rant mode>
>
> Duh. Sorry to be rude, but is this supposed to be some sort of revelation?

Yeah, we're all experts here.
> (Then look at some early Weegie photos, and tell me you can't
> do photojournalism with a Speed Graphic 4x5! :-)

And flash bulbs. And a standard distance. The larger format helps,
because you can overexpose to your heart's content and develop each
neg by safelight.

> </rant mode>

There's many advantages and disadvantages to different formats. How
about a 4x5 motordrive?

My only point was that in http://www.photodo.com/art/35_m9.shtml
Lars chooses standard conditions which favour 35mm, rather than
comparing best practices to best practices.

Tom