Re: [OM] Night shooting on Auto - OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Night shooting on Auto - OM-4T
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:17:37 +0000
At 13:00 6/14/00 , Olafo asked [at the end]:
>Hi Barry, John, and others:
[snip]

>Yes, getting fireworks in bulb mode is pretty easy: 100 ASA, f16, 5 seconds
>(or something like that; depends on the brightness of the fireworks).
>
>>Lightning at night
>>(shutter open on "B" for several streaks):
>ISO    Aperture
>------------------------
>64 -  100        f/5.6
>125 -  200       f/8
>
>O.k., so these are the ASA/Aperture settings they recommend, but how long
>should these exposurs be, did they gave that info too?

Kodak's guide only mentions holding the shutter open for "several streaks"
(lighting strikes) and for "several bursts" with fireworks.  For me, that
works out to about 5-8 seconds.  With fireworks timing of the exposure is
more controllable.  You can get a feel for the pace of the aerial bursts by
listening for the mortar reports when they are launched.  With lightning
you are at the mercy of Nature.

Having used Kodak's recommended exposure settings, I'm guessing these are
their basic assumptions for good contrast:
(1)  It is after dark, at least an hour after sunset (after the afterglow)
allowing a background behind the lightning that will be 2 or, better yet, 3
stops underexposed.  Otherwise it can have insufficient contrast with its
background.
(2)  There is nearly zero light pollution in the foreground or
middle-ground from other sources, especially man-made sources, and you can
capture the lightning against a dark sky.

If there are unavoidable light sources in the frame such as street lamps,
or if you are doing this in an urban area with lots of man-made lighting
(buildings, signs, etc.), I recommend not exposing any longer than you
would for shooting the lighted portion of the scene using Kodak's
recommended aperture.  Then aim for the lightning that occurs against the
dark sky.

If you have done aerial fireworks against a dark sky, it is the same method
using one stop wider aperture, and hoping Nature cooperates by providing
strikes within the frame while the shutter is open.

A couple of sites with tutorials about lightning photography:
http://www.weather-photography.com/Lightning/index.html
http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/~doswell/ltgph.html

-- John