Re: [OM] Object of beauty

Subject: Re: [OM] Object of beauty
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:08:04 PDT
Ah, that mysterious temptress, the object of desire and obsession. I don't think I've ever understood her very well. Or those she masters. Heck, last year I sold my few mint collectible silver coins to raise money to buy a decent tele-zoom. Might as well have something I can appreciate *and* use.

All my camera gear looks good, or at least no worse than when I bought it. But, honestly, I don't know why. I don't baby it. Heck, I don't even have a proper camera bag. My main bag was a Kirkland bicycle handlebar touring bag in my cycling days. Lotsa pockets but no padding, 'cept for some foam I put on the bottom. Everything is plopped together in there - bodies, lenses, whatever won't fit in the smaller pockets. Nothing's ever been so much as scratched. The one paint chip on the prism of one of my Canon T70 bodies occurred when I fumbled a skylight filter that landed on it.

I photographed a public meeting the other night with my OM-1 and Fat Viv (from now on that's what I'm calling the Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 varifocal, 'cause it takes too long to write Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 varifocal and I've never learned how to program macros on my PC). Fat Viv seemed kinda ostentatious at first, 'til the local newspaper photog showed up with her brace of Canon A2s and L-glass. When she got close enough for me to admire her bodies I noticed lotsa scuffs and paint chips off the white-barreled L zoom. Badge of honor, methinks.

Lex