[OM] Re: light meters

Subject: [OM] Re: light meters
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:40:22 -0400
I got started in both 35mm and medium format photography almost
simultaneously. For a bit, using the built-in spot meter in an OM-2000
seemed like the best thing to do figure settings for the 6x6, since I
already had the cheap OM and did not have a separate light meter. Using the
in-camera meter that you already have is definitely the lowest cost
solution. However, it's not necessarily the best or most convenient. For
one thing, you can't do incident metering, only reflected. (Well, not
easily anyway.)

Originally, part of my objection to using another camera in conjunction
w/med. format for metering purposes was the added bulk. I wanted something
that could fit into a shirt pocket, and was convinced that I was going to
wind up with something like a cheap used Gossen Scout or similar.
 I don't know if it's my ill-fated luck or what, but over half of the
various used meters that I looked at in local camera stores were either off
or dead or highly questionable. Also, most of the used meters that I looked
at weren't priced significantly lower than comparable new meters
mailordered. A guy from work offered to sell me his Luna-Pro, but admitted
that he was wanting to upgrade to a spot meter w/flash capability. He
cautioned me about paying 3/4 price for 1/2 a meter. It was advice that I
took to heart. The more that I got to investigating meters, the more that I
made up my mind that I wanted a meter capable of at minimum spot metering,
reflected metering and incident metering. Looking at available spot meters
pretty much narrowed the field, while also putting me in a whole new price
ballpark.

After really surveying the field, and after reading a book called "The Hand
Exposure Meter Book" by Martin Silverman and Jim Zuckerman and Bob Shell, I
decided that if I was going to go to the expense of a dedicated light meter
to use with my med. format stuff, that I might as well go full out and get
one meter that could do everything that I'd ever want in a meter. I got the
Sekonic L-508 Zoomaster, since it seemed like just about the only meter out
there that offered spot, incident, reflected, and flash metering. As a
bonus it's also reasonably compact and weatherproof. The downside is that
even on sale it's still tough to find for under $375US. It's a heck of a
lot of money for a light meter, particularly since I originally thought I
wanted something in the $100US range, but I figure it's the last light
meter that I'll need. Since getting it, I've used it to check the meters in
several OM bodies and have noticed an increase in the quality of my med.
format work: particularly B&W. One kind of obscure bennefit of having a
really good separate light meter, is that I now look at the bargains on
meterless, or "meter inoperable" cameras with a totally different mind set.

That's just what I elected to do. I mention it just in case it helps, but
fully understand that a light meter costing more than many camera bodies
may strike some as completely nuts. ;-)

Mike Swaim (always on the lookout for bargains in OM, Kowa and Rollei equip.)