Re: [OM] Light meters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Light meters?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 02:23:51 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Jan et. al,

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Jan Steinman wrote:

> >Hiya all,
>
> Hi Thomas!
>
> >for a long time have I been considering getting a hand-held light-meter...
> >
> >I use the spot-meter functionqlity of
> >the OM2s/p or OM4's...
> >I never take much
> >flash-pictures...
>
> Hmmm, you use the built-in spot meters, and never do flash. That
> eliminates most of the reason to buy an external meter, in my opinion!
>
> I'll save you a lot of money: buy a Kodak gray card and learn to use
> it with your built-in spot meter. Then you'll have incident metering
> capability -- about the only thing you're missing in an external
> meter!

Nono. What catalyzed the need for an extra meter was the purchase of
another camera WITHOUT build-in meter (a medium format thing, just
fyi). Carrying an OM2sp/4 in addition to such a camera is rather bulky,
hence I'd prefer to avoid it. Also, I was considering that e.g. to the
older OM1 and 2, an external spot-meter might make a usefull companion
(but I was really short the "darn good excuse" for spending money on a
meter).

So while you are mostly right (I do not _need_ an external meter for the
OM4 and 2s/p), there are still reasons why I will buy one - and for that,
your comments were / are most helpfull - thanks a lot ;)

--thomas