Re: copyright issues Re: [OM] hans' oly/zuiko tshirt on esif

Subject: Re: copyright issues Re: [OM] hans' oly/zuiko tshirt on esif
From: Bill Jones <jonesw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 17:07:42 -0600
Hans van Veluwen wrote:

> : If the Olympus sales information book is copyrighted, then Oly can sue
> : you and win simply because the use of the book is not authorized.
>
> There was no book. The Olympus Sales Information File was a blue binder
> containing separate exchangeable data sheets for the various units of the OM
> System and some tabs for the OM-10 and the finder cameras. Neither the
> binder itself nor any of the sheets contain any copyright message. It was
> just a dealer catalogue to support commerce just as the e-SIF is a user
> catalogue. The only pictures in the SIF are unauthorized product pictures of
> the various units.
>
> I also used some product pictures from the OM System Lens Handbook. [...]

No explicit copyright notice is required in countries following the
Berne Convention, which was signed by most of the world decades ago
and the USA around 1990.

>From what I've seen, Olympus could slam Hans for using their logos and
trademarks and pictures, and insist he wipe such stuff from the site.
Given the context, I rather doubt they would, but it is best for both
scholarly and legal reasons to include acknowledgements of trademarks
and picture sources.

As a contrary example, where there are better claims of current
economic interest to defend, you can read at

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/06/189226&mode=thread

how Fuji TV recently ordered several fansites of their Iron Chef show
to not only wipe all copyrighted material but also post a public
apology.  Chop chop chop.