[OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 28mm/f2.0: Shades & Coatings
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 20:05:21 -0500
A number of weeks back, we were discussing the Olympus lens shades for the
Zuiko 28/2.0, and wondering if those for the 28/3.5 and 28/2.8 were
equivalent. I now have a 28/2.0 marked metal shade, a 28/3.5 metal shade,
and a rubber shade marked for the 28/3.5  and 28/2.8. The latter two are
largely the same in diameter and angle, but the 28/2.0 is definitely a
different animal. It has the same depth, but the largest diameter is about
5mm more then the 28/3.5 shade - meaning it has  a wider field of view.

This surprises me a little, because I have been shooting a 28/2.0 with the
28/3.5 shade on top of a filter on occasion, yet have not noticed vignetting
in even this case - not to say there isn't some.

Another thing I found when comparing the coating reflections from two
otherwise identical MC 28/2.0 lenses, serial number 120xxx and 124xxx. The
earlier one reflects green from the rear element, and yellow from the front
element, whereas  with the later one it is just  the reverse! One  has to
wonder what led to the  decision to change coatings in that manner.

Yours,
Chip 'No slouch in the Olympus arcana department' Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx