Re: [OM] Several updates (new Pen Camera??)

Subject: Re: [OM] Several updates (new Pen Camera??)
From: Charles Packard <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 13:37:45 -0500
Hmmm, Using my limited business knowledge, it makes sense that Olympus would
introduce a new PEN camera. They already have a solid market in P&S and digital
cameras, so why wouldn't they want to refocus their attention back towards
35mm? Somebody has to compete with Leica and Contax. Also, as we all know Zuiko
glass is in the same class as the aforementioned camera makers and from what I
remember from comparing lens prices is less expensive too. Solid performance
of the original PEN series and excellent lenses to me Olympus could reintroduce
the PEN for a small investment and reap large profits in return. After all its
the bottom line that counts.

The introduction of an OM-5,6 is IMO probably unlikely. Unless Olympus either
transplants the AF and metering technology from their digital cameras into a
new OM body, or they introduce a digital back for the OM bodies in existence
(highly unlikely), or lastly a digital camera that will accept Zuiko lenses.
To create a digital body that will accept Zuiko lens, then discontinue the OM
series body doesn't make sense to me. Second, I as recall Olympus redesigned
the back covers of the OM series once or twice, meaning an OM-1 back won't fit
on an OM-2,3,4 body, therefore they probably wouldn't want to go to the expense
of creating a digital back for each series. The first option creating a new
body is probably their best option but as I already stated probably unlikely.
Olympus would have to jump in with a system that can compete directly with
N*K*N and C*N*N that would require a substantial investment.
Lastly, I'm not sure how I would like owning an Olympus "wonder brick".