[OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!

Subject: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 21:03:29 -0400
Mark,

IMO, the cheapest way is to use incandescent lights with the correct
film/filter for them.  You didn't say if it needed to be in color or not.
The reason I don't suggest flash is that you need to be able to see your
results before you shoot, and have the ability to see what moving your
lights around will do.  It will certainly help to diffuse the light sources
behind something, like white material or thin white plastic.  A really
effective method is to put the metal on a white surface and make a tent out
of white material to completely cover the metal.  Cut a small hole in the
material to fit your lens, and move the lights until your image in the
viewfinder is pleasing.  Then bracket.

Gregg