Re: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!

Subject: Re: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 15:20:39 +0000
Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Good news:  Olympus makes a a cross polariser accessory for the T10 ring
flash specifically for photographing reflective surfaces.  There is a
polarising filter over the flash and another for the lens.  the light from
the flash gets polarised and the polarising filter over the lens blocks
reflections which will have a different polarisation.  At least I think
thats how it must work.

So you need a T10 ring flash, the cross polarising attachment, a T power
control unit to power the flash, and a suitable macro lens such as the
80mm f4 or 38mm f2.8, oh and you will also need an auto bellows or 65-116
auto extension tube for the macro lenses.

Bad news:  See list of equipment required.  All such gear is hard to find
in Oz as OM gear is hideously expensive new so sales of such stuff was
probably always very low.

Didn't Denton have some example images of watches taken with the various
macro flashes?  Did he have one with the cross polariser?

Giles