[OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!

Subject: [OM] photographing polished metal- HELP!
From: Mark Staiger <Mark.Staiger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:20:38 +1000
Dear Zuiks, I apologise this is not a zuik related
posting but I am desperate for a solution to
something I need to do for my PhD. I would like to
be able to photograph/video the surface of steel
that is highly reflective, actually
electro-polished. The area is about 6.7 mm wide
and
20 mm long, also cylindrical. Using video is very
difficult because the surface just appears black
as there is no light reflected back into the lens
on account of the surface being so smooth and
round. Can I use my oly gear to get an image of
this surface? I can normally view the surface
through a microscope because the light comes from
the lens and not the side but how else can I get
the lighting required?

Any tips would be really appreciated,

Mark
Melbourne