Re: [OM] extension tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] extension tubes
From: "Pawel Golik" <pgolik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:24:45 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: vivey <vivey@xxxxxxx>
> I have also noticed
> some of you pictures in the TOPE and on your pages seem very nice and
clear
> with beautiful colors.  I am wondering if it could be mostly the film
used,
> or possibly the camera as well

Hi!
    Don't forget about the scanner quality too. It is a very important
factor in providing digital copies of your pictures. I tried to scan some
negs using an Umax flatbed scanner (it does have a negative scan add-on) and
the results are _very_ disappointing - much worse than cheap lab prints (and
I know how to use Photoshop). To get good scans you need a good film
scanner, and it's expensive. Film is important (slide film scans better than
negative and gives better colour, individual film brands do differ - it's a
matter of your preference and particular application). Lens quality affects
pictures (sharpness etc.) much more then the camera body. But, of course,
the main factor is the photographer. Any OM body and any Zuiko lens (and
most of third-party OM system lenses too) should not be a limiting factor in
the quality of your pictures if you use them correctly (unless you compare
to middle format). If your pictures look good, than try to find the best
scanner possible to make great digital copies. If you are confident with
your exposure settings and have been using print film previously then try a
good slide film - you'll be surprised to see how vibrant and nice colours
can be!

Cheers
Pawel
--
Pawel Golik, Ph.D.
Center for Molecular Medicine, Emory University