Australian scenery was re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [lo

Subject: Australian scenery was re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [longish]
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 20:37:49 +1000
Thanks for the input. I agree that solving the storage problem is the
first thing, but the apparent worse susceptibility of E6 films to fungus
compared to KR has me concerned, particularly as KR is supposed to be
better archivally anyway. I've had equal trouble with ektachrome
(100/400/elitechrome) and agfachrome (couldn't remember having ever used
it, but just found some from '91) and hints of it from velvia, so I
assume it's common to all E6.
I heartily agree about there being no such thing as "the" Australian
bush. My combined passions for the outdoors (bushwalking /climbing
/skiing /canyoning) and photography have taken me on many forays into
rainforest from FNQ to SW tassie, and coastal heath from the Royal NP in
Sydney to Margaret River in WA. My OM10 died in the Du Cane range in
Tas, from excess moisture after being called on to take pictures in the
Black Hole of Calcutta on a near-fatal trip down a flooded claustral
canyon. I got stuck on 1/430th for the whole 2 weeks in The Reserve, and
could only shoot in bright light (all I had with me was the OM10, a
Magnon 28-200 f5.6 [since honourably retired] and ektachrome 100). I had
some beautiful shots from the Acropolis, now ruined by the fungus which
started this thread.
I can't really fault KR, as the colour rendition is pretty accurate in
its monotony. The real lesson should be to myself - don't bother
shooting landscapes in full sun! I've learnt a lot in the few years
since I last used kodachrome, so maybe it's time to try it again.
Dylan
PS. for anyone that likes nature photography, take a look at the work of
Peter Dombrovskis [sadly non-OM, but LF so it's excusable]. Some of the
most masterful pitures of 'the' Australian bush. His "Retrospective"
published a few years ago was exquisite in both content and
reproduction.
http://www.view.com.au/dombrovskis/index.html