film cleaning fluids, was Re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome

Subject: film cleaning fluids, was Re: [OM] fungus on slides - E6 vs kodachrome [longish]
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 20:38:22 +1000
Thanks for the tip. I work in a research lab, so if you have a chemical
name for PEC-12 then I can probably get some. But if it is the same as
kodak film cleaning fluid (which is 1,1,1-trichloroethane) then yes,
I've tried it and been unimpressed. Being a strong organic solvent, it
dissolves a number of different sorts of plastic slide mount, not to
mention the glue that is often used in the mounts. Getting this residue
off the slide is then next to impossible. Even when I didn't dissolve
the mount or glue I was often left with drying marks or streaks. Getting
slides squeaky clean involved serial washing with fresh solvent, and
though the results were good and cost me less scratches, it was time
(and solvent) consuming. Thankfully I have access to a proper hazardous
substances hood, so I didn't fry too many brain cells in the process!
Unless PEC-12 offer a better experience than this, I'll stick to water
vapour and a soft cloth.
Dylan

Jan wrote:

Have you tried PEC-12? It works wonders, and will safely remove any
fungus that has not actually damaged the emulsion -- MUCH better than
breath and cloth.

I don't know where you'd get it in Oz. They have an 800 number on the
bottle, but that won't do you much good. If you can't locate it, I
can send you some, since th 4 ounce (118 ml) bottle I have will