Re: [OM] OM-2S repair in Indonesia

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S repair in Indonesia
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
Dear All,

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had my OM-2S repaired here in
Jakarta when the wind gears got crossed. Well, I have now run a film
through it and I'm very happy to say that it seems to be functioning
perfectly. I tried all modes of operation, including some pics using my
T-32 flash and a couple using the self-timer, just in case something
had been knocked out of kilter during the repair, but I couldn't find
anything wrong at all. I have noticed that the film advance lever is
now lighter and smoother to operate than it used to be before it
jammed. I don't know whether this means that Mr. Chaing has realigned,
cleaned and lubricated the gears and levers or maybe that it had been
getting stiffer as a symptom of the problem that evetually caused it to
jam. And the repair only cost me the equivalent of US$10.00!

You don't realise how important something is to you until you are in
danger of losing it. I'm a relieved man and a happy camper :-) Having
to put the camera through its paces (program mode, auto mode,
manual/spot mode, both electronic and mechanical shutter speeds, +/-
exposure compensation, TTL flash auto, self-timer with mirror lock-up
and a few different lenses) reminded me how much I have grown attached
to the OM-2S and its lenses. Taking into account my own mistakes, the
results are always excellent in terms of both exposure accuracy and
image quality. I know that, if I do my part, I can rely on the OM-2S to
do its job properly every time - that is, until the batteries run out!

I'm not saying it's perfect. For instance, I regard the narrow, stiff
shutter speed ring as an ergonomic disaster and a pain in the *ss to
use :-( The position of the shutter speed dial is unimportant to me,
whether it's around the lens mount or on top, it's just a matter of
acclimatisation, but the operability IS important. Oly had a winner
with the OM-1, 1N, 2 and 2N, so why spoil it in the OM-2S? To err is
human, I guess!