Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 08:56:40 -0500
Chris,

There are many more knowledgeable people on this list than I am, so take my
thoughts as a 'beginner's'.  I own a lot of the lenses you're talking about
and have played with them and started doing portrait photography.  I also
shoot a lot of just family shots and sports shots, so that factors into all
my lens decisions.  I also am a big believer in the 'small is good', I
suppose the mantra of the OM family.

So, having said all that, 'buy them all', oh, no wait, that's me.....

If I had to choose between the 85/2 and the 100/2, I'd choose the 85/2, for
the following reasons:

- Much smaller and lighter (the 100/2 is massive)
- Much cheaper (the 85/2 is about 1/2 the price)
- More versatile (for me) - I like the length.

As for the 35-70 zoom, it's very versatile.  Depending on your budget, you
should also include the 35-105 (and possibly the 35-80, but I don't have one
of those).  You probably know all about the different 35-70 variations (if
not, the SIF site is helpful).  The /3.6 is highly regarded but heavy (and
difficult to repair).  My favorite is the /3.5-4.5 (not the 3.5-4.8, which
is nice but not my favorite).  The 3.5-4.5 is little and light and takes
nice crisp pictures.  I bought mine used at a local store, mint, for $79, so
they can be found.

I really like the 35-105 as the most useful of them all.  It's clearly
bigger and larger, but the extra length to 105 is great.  Harder to find and
more expensive, but if you're only going to have one, that's the one I'd
buy.  I haven't tried it as a portrait lens, but probably will soon.

I've also got my eye on a 35-80 (fingers crossed) and a 90/2 (toes crossed).
Expensive, but I hope worth it.  There is a 35-80 at KEH for $999 but I
don't want to pay that much.

Now, about ebay.  Give it a shot.  Are there gambles? Sure.  Overall, I have
had fantastic luck.  I've found that buyers and sellers of OM equipment are
an honest lot.  I've never had a problem with a Zuiko purchase.  Now, I have
had misrepresented non-Zuikos, fungus, etc., so I stay away from them.  I've
never had to return a Zuiko purchase.  Just be careful and don't get caught
up in the excitement of bidding.  Bargains can be found but they are few and
far between anymore as we've all found ebay.  I picked up a 24/2.8 for $119
of ebay this week, which is a good price, but don't have it yet.  Hopefully
it will be as promised.

Another approach, that gets the best value, is to track down entire OM
setups and keep the best pieces and ebay off the rest. It's worked for me,
but it's not like you'll get rich.  You just end up making what you keep a
little cheaper.

One last thought.  Consider an 85/2 and 100/2.8 combo.  Both about the same
size and you can get the pair for the price of a 100/2.

Well, I've rambled long enough.

Tom

> I am in need of a fast portrait/telephoto and therefore have been looking
> buy the Zuiko 85 f2.  Recently, I have begun to consider the100 f2
instead.
> Perhaps I should say "in addition," but it seems to me that while having
> both lenses would be nice, there is really not a need for both.
>
> Since I am going to buy, at some point, a 35-70 or 35-80 (if I can find
> one), I am seeking opinions regarding whether the 85 or the 100 is the way
> to go.  I know the 100 is more expensive, but I don't want to base the
> decision on price.
>
> I have seen a few of these lenses (and the 35-70's) for sale on e-Bay, but
> am not entirely comfortable with purchasing lenses on e-Bay.  I have
bought
> other Olympus items on e-Bay, but no lenses or bodies.  Not sure why, but
> I'm definitely nervous about it.  I'd like thoughts on where to buy these
> lenses, people's opinions on buying through e-Bay, and whether I should
just
> spend the extra money and buy the 85 or 100 new.  (I bought the 50 f1.2
new
> because the price differential at places like KEH and B&H for used and
B&H's