Re: [OM] Lenses, films, general advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses, films, general advice
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:44:36 +0100
Hi Mike,

If you're travelling light I'd suggest no more than 2 bodies. If you use
different film types make sure you decide at the outset which film is in
which body, then there won't be the "oh sh*t, I've just exposed the Velvia
at 400asa!" feeling.

Looking at what you have available I would suggest:
24mm
35-70 3.5-4.5
50 f1.4
Tokina SZ-X 70-210
Lens hoods for 24, and 35-70/50mm (these latter two can use the same hood if
necessary)
81-series warm-up filter(s)
Polariser (Circular Pol if you use the OM4)
T20 flash if you think you will be shooting indoors
Spare batteries

You really *need* to cut the hardware down to the minimum. I know some
people on this list get the shakes at the thought of leaving the house with
less than a dozen lenses and four bodies, but it can be done.

If *you* like slides then use slides in one body, and put 400asa print film
in the other camera. Tell your wife she can use print film and a $30 p&s for
her "proper" photographs ;-) Give your daughter the 50 f1.8. I've found that
zooming gives the inexperienced SLR user one more thing to get confused
with. Also, the 50mm will be much brighter for her to focus through.

My film choice:
Fuji Sensia II 100 (slides)
Konica/Fuji 200asa or 400asa colour neg

If you do take slides, save the print film for low light/indoor photos where
the slide film might cause camera shake. Better a grainy photo than no
photo. If you choose prints-only, then take Fuji 200, with a roll of 800 in
the bag just in case. Take lots of photos, and don't spend too long worrying
about apertures etc, the subject, the feel of the place, what you want to
take home with you are more important. I respectfully disagree with Brian, I
think 200asa is a *good* compromise film speed. I find 400asa means you are
forced to shoot at f11-f16 on a sunny day, which isn't always ideal.

HTH,

Simon E.