[OM] OT: Nikon AF and Grumpy (was OM2000 flash, etc.)

Subject: [OM] OT: Nikon AF and Grumpy (was OM2000 flash, etc.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:35:35 -0500
I wonder whether Nikon AF is by intention close but not right on.  About
the time I left the Nikon list, there was a report that Nikon had
deliberately designed the FE2, and perhaps other cameras, either to over-
or under-focus ever-so-minutely.  One owner said that he consistently
focused and then (I think) backed off just a little and got slightly better
results.  I consider this no better than a rumor, but it affected me to the
extent that I determined that I was not committed enough to Nikon and the
FE2 to test to see whether the claim played out or not.  I pretty much
switched over completely to Oly sometime after that.  I've always gotten
better results with Oly than Nikon, but I've also improved my technique at
the same time.  I guess there might be a connection though. :)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA

At 07:50 AM 4/21/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>At 01:15 AM 4/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>Ah yes- Grumpy.  I hadn't read much of his writings, but I have seen quite a
>>few of this train pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.rail.  As bitter as he
>is,
>>he does know how to focus a camera.  All of the pictures he has posted have
>>been sharp enough to cut yourself on.  Pity that (as Craig Roberts said)
he's