Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:34:06 -0500
John,

Great story...nobody understands the beginnings for the disease than I do.
This probably isn't the best analogy, but it seems to work much like the
desires of a serial killer.  First, you go months....maybe 6 months....but
then the need gets stronger...you're down to 3 months....and it keeps
getting shorter...you're down to weeks....then days....then you find
yourself checking new items on ebay every day...then several times a
day...then you get software to help you bid.....

It's a terrible, yet euphoric disease.

Tom

> My name is John and I too just fell off the wagon.
>
> It all started two weeks ago with a trip to a store in Indianapolis to
look
> through their bins of used filters and cast-off cases.  There is was, like
> a siren beckoning to hapless crewmen:  a beautiful 300/4.5 Zuiko in
> excellent condition, complete with tripod ring, both caps and the original
> case.  I resisted the temptation then and just bought the old OM-1 black
> case (the leather one with the tripod screw).
>
> But what followed was torture.  Sleepless nights, awakening in a cold
> sweat, dreams of wildlife close-ups with beautiful bokeh in the
background,
> and eventually the trembling with nightmares and halucinations . . .
> followed by a nervous twitch to reach for the phone and my credit card.
>
> Went back today with the excuse I needed to run some other errands
thinking
> just looking at it, maybe holding it, would stop the tremors and
nightmares
> of long spindly fibrous fungus covering me, and the walls of my study.  It
> was still there and beckoning even more, with its beautifully smooth and
> flawless black matte barrel, and the tripod mount not even scratched.  I
> had to hold it, to look through it and peer through its 72mm objective.
> That was all it took.  Beautifully huge glass with the heft of a large
lens
> meant to bring even the most distant subjects into clear view.  Not a
> scratch, scrape or chip to be seen, and nearly zero dust inside.  I could
> swear this beautiful Zuiko siren even winked its diaphragm at me . . .
from