Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;) (long)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:10:04 +0000
My name is John and I too just fell off the wagon.

It all started two weeks ago with a trip to a store in Indianapolis to look
through their bins of used filters and cast-off cases.  There is was, like
a siren beckoning to hapless crewmen:  a beautiful 300/4.5 Zuiko in
excellent condition, complete with tripod ring, both caps and the original
case.  I resisted the temptation then and just bought the old OM-1 black
case (the leather one with the tripod screw).

But what followed was torture.  Sleepless nights, awakening in a cold
sweat, dreams of wildlife close-ups with beautiful bokeh in the background,
and eventually the trembling with nightmares and halucinations . . .
followed by a nervous twitch to reach for the phone and my credit card.

Went back today with the excuse I needed to run some other errands thinking
just looking at it, maybe holding it, would stop the tremors and nightmares
of long spindly fibrous fungus covering me, and the walls of my study.  It
was still there and beckoning even more, with its beautifully smooth and
flawless black matte barrel, and the tripod mount not even scratched.  I
had to hold it, to look through it and peer through its 72mm objective.
That was all it took.  Beautifully huge glass with the heft of a large lens
meant to bring even the most distant subjects into clear view.  Not a
scratch, scrape or chip to be seen, and nearly zero dust inside.  I could
swear this beautiful Zuiko siren even winked its diaphragm at me . . . from
f/4.5 to f/32 and back again.  And the price, the price was a reasonable
bargain near the low end of what I've recently seen.

Yes, it's mine now.  The cold sweats have stopped, my pulse has slowed, my
breathing deeper, and the haluciations of fungus have disappeared.  Oh how
I love being infected too.  I wonder how long it will be before the
symptoms recur and another fix is needed.

-- John
who is off the wagon and doesn't want get back on