Re: [OM] dissenting fellar

Subject: Re: [OM] dissenting fellar
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:11:52 -0400
At 1:02 AM -0700 4/14/00,  Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

==start quote(from some guy one an AOL board)==
All of the smaller Zuiko lenses (the 200 mm f/4 on down) share the same
chintzy plastic construction.  If you shake one, it rattles like a child's
toy.  The aperture ring has a loose, imprecise feel to it; I'm always
afraid I'm going to break one off.  Ditto for the spindly little
depth-of-field preview button.  At their price levels, you cannot expect
Zeiss or Leitz quality from the Zuiko lenses, but they could have been
designed with more ruggedness in mind.
==end quote==

Anyone else agree or disagree? I've yet to /see/ a Zeiss/Leitz lens, let
alone use one. Since I don't have the comparison, the Zuikos I have seem
sturdy enough.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. I just went and shook 24, 28, 35 and
three 50's. Some rattled very slightly, some didn't. In all the ones that rattled, the noise was play in the aperture-indicating pin, which gets taken up when the lens is mounted. Aperture ring seemed pretty unbreakable without actually taking a plumber's wrench to it. DOF preview ditto.

The Zeiss lenses I've seen have somewhat better fit and finish (rather than optical quality) but I have no idea how that translates into ruggedness in the field (if you put fine tolerances where you don't need them, parts will stick or break when exposed to adverse conditions)

I've only ever taken falls onto two lenses, one rokkor, one zuiko -- the latter survived, the former didn't.

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx