[OM] Stylus Epic vs Yashica T4 Super

Subject: [OM] Stylus Epic vs Yashica T4 Super
From: Tristan Lawrence <tlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:10:24 -0400
Hello Everybody

I've been lurking on this for a couple of months now. Although I have
very much enjoyed the use of an Olympus SLR setup begin by my father in
the late 70s and passed to me about four years ago, my question concerns
P&S cameras.

I am going on a rafting trip to the Grand Canyon in May and although I
am bringing along a Pelican case stuff with OM gear, I also want a small
camera to carry on hikes, around camp, through rapids etc. I looked at
three-the Canon A1, Yashica T4 Super and Olympus Stylus Epic. I dropped
the Canon because of its larger size and concerns about image quality,
although I thought the ability to be used underwater could come in
handy.

So I trotted over to B & H and bought the Yashica and Stylus. On the
advice of the salesman I bought the panoramic version of the Stylus
Epic. On first impression, I fell in love with the tiny size of the
Stylus. I felt like I would never have to leave it behind. OTOH, the
Yashica is almost as small.

I ran a test roll through both of them, taking a variety of shots around
NYC. Most of the time I chose subjects that allowed to to take mostly
identical shots with both cameras.

I got the prints (I used Kodak 100 color print film) back just a couple
of days ago. I could detect no difference in sharpness of the two
cameras on 4x6 prints. Several of the Olympus pictures seemed to be
exposed slightly better.

The only problem I see is that on 3-4 of the shots the Olympus autofocus
was apparently on vacation, or maybe just taking a snooze, and the whole
frame is out of focus. I initially suspected camera shake, but the
Yashica had no problem delivering sharp exposures (with a
one-stop-slower lens) and anyway they have various lighting and
subjects. My suspicion is that when unable to figure out where to focus
the Yashica guesses while the Stylus just throws up its hands.

So anyway, my question. Does anybody know if this is might be just a
sample problem, or maybe particular to the panoramic model of the Stylus
Epic?

Tristan