Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:25:42 +0100
Garry Lewis wrote:
>...After reading through this collection of lens cleaning advice, I've
concluded:
>1. There is no "ONE" liquid for lens cleaning. The gambit of suggestions
run from "ROR" to Windex to various
>concoctions of acetone- various dilution of alcohols -ammonia or ammonia
based products.
>2. There is no "ONE" way of application. You use cotton swabs or tissue or
Kimwipes or Microfiber Or Kleenex or shirt-tails.
>3. You can/can't disassemble lenses. You can/can't replace elements. You
can/can't destroy coatings or lens cements.
>4. Lens coating can/can't be ruined by using certain cleaners and/or
techniques- depending on who is giving the advice.
>5. The ONLY common and agreed to advice is that dust should be removed off
first. But there is no "ONE" agreement as to how: "canned air- breath- ear
syringe- brush- torn lens tissue"...

LOL. This confirms my conclusions about how useful/confusing it must be for
a beginner looking for advice on photographic newsgroups, particularly for
the tyro who asks "I've got $--- to spend on a camera, which make and model
should I buy?"

FWIW and perhaps to add to the confusion, I clean lenses rarely, but when
it's necessary I use window strength "Quick'n'Brite" sprayed lightly onto a
clean, dry, sponge and work it gently in a circular motion, with the lens
held up so that any surplus liquid will fall downwards (usually down my
sleeve) and not into the lens unit. Dry gently with a clean fluffy towel
kept specially for the purpose  - this is important because the Q'n'B
dissolves any grease and gunge, which then MUST be wiped away with the
towel. I clean my spectacles regularly this way, which is how I came to
realise how effective it is. Filters and monitor/TV screens too - anything
else I've tried has left a sticky film which has collected new gunge at a
rapid rate.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)