RE: [OM] Q: Vivitar Series I 90-180 f4 flat-field zoom

Subject: RE: [OM] Q: Vivitar Series I 90-180 f4 flat-field zoom
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:11:06 -0400
You stated: "Does anybody else have experience with this beast, er, lens? "

Marc,
You just repeated every description of this lens that I have ever seen.
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

I just got back my first roll of slides taken using my 'new' Vivitar
90-180 flat-field and I am amazed... I shot Fuji RDP3 in my OM-4,
outdoors, mostly of dead cactus and flowers, a couple portraits, and the
sharpness is incredible. Comparing the slides to shots from my favorite
lens,  a Zuiko 90 macro, I have to say the Vivitar is as sharp, though
not quite as punchy color-wise. At f11 the dirt and roots on the
uprooted plants is so sharp I can count the grains of sand in the soil.

I bought it
on a blind-recommendation knowing nothing about it except that it is a
LOT of glass... Having a zoom on a macro is really neat too, especially
if I don't have to sacrafice sharpness.

- marc