[OM] Q: Vivitar Series I 90-180 f4 flat-field zoom

Subject: [OM] Q: Vivitar Series I 90-180 f4 flat-field zoom
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:34:53 -0700
I just got back my first roll of slides taken using my 'new' Vivitar
90-180 flat-field and I am amazed... I shot Fuji RDP3 in my OM-4,
outdoors, mostly of dead cactus and flowers, a couple portraits, and the
sharpness is incredible. Comparing the slides to shots from my favorite
lens,  a Zuiko 90 macro, I have to say the Vivitar is as sharp, though
not quite as punchy color-wise. At f11 the dirt and roots on the
uprooted plants is so sharp I can count the grains of sand in the soil.
Too bad the T10 won't fit on it's 72mm filter ring (55 to 72 step
down???)

Does anybody else have experience with this beast, er, lens? I bought it
on a blind-recommendation knowing nothing about it except that it is a
LOT of glass... Having a zoom on a macro is really neat too, especially
if I don't have to sacrafice sharpness.

Any reports of your experiences would be greatly appreciated. Also, if
anybody has a hood for it, I would be interested if it is under $5500
(just kidding - maybe $40).

It's not often I am pleased with non-Zuiko glass on my OM's...

- marc