Re: [OM] rear coating

Subject: Re: [OM] rear coating
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:33:54 -0400
In Tomosy's book on camera repair, he also recommends using Windex and
ordinary facial tissue for normal cleaning.  Fold up a piece of tissue
and hold it in tweezers.  Wet the tissue (never the lens) and gently
wipe the lens with it.  Go in one direction working outward from the
center in a spiral.  Repeat as necessary always using a clean piece of
tissue.  Make a final pass with another clean piece of tissue after
breathing on the lens.

For oil and grease use lighter fluid (naptha) or rubbing alchohol until
the oil is removed.  Then follow up with the normal cleaning process
using Windex.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Garth said to Matt:
Have you tried using pure lens-grade methanol?  It's moved stuff off of
my lenses that standard
lens cleaner just seemed to smear around.  As well (I know, this is
heresy, but what have you
got to lose?), I've sometimes used Windex with good results.  (Don't use
the scented stuff --
the original blue formula is what I mean...).