Re: [OM] Re NASA lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re NASA lens
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <o9938156@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:27:46 -0700
>So, what were they taking pictures of? Was it inside the shuttle (think
>not given the minumum focus and large focal length) or outside? In which
>case, the vacuum/glass thing still holds. Then why the 180/2.8? Then can I
>see pics of some shots? I know, I ask a lot of questions, but when there
>/is/ something in my capabilities, I do it soon (loony 4 image, filter
>degrad image, various lens bokeh (more coming up) etc) :) Thanks,
>
>/Acer V

If the lens is inside the shuttle, then the lens will have air/glass
interfaces in it, and should be designed accordingly.  It doesn't
matter if the object being photographed is outside the shuttle,
although the window should be designed so as to not introduce
abberations.  It's like taking pictures of something inside an
aquarium, only not as bad, since the index of refraction (ior) of
space is, of course, 1, and the ior of air is only 1.0003 (@ 1atm
pressure), whereas the ior of water is 1.33.  I'd be pretty
surprised if there would be a whole lot of difference between a lens
designed for air/glass interfaces and a lens designed for
vacuum/glass interfaces, but for scientific purposes, it could be
important.

Mark Marr-Lyon