Re: [OM] Olympus Photo contest

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Photo contest
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:53:41 +1000
Hello

I'm not bagging you here Chris, just pointing out my experiences.

This competiton might look like a great opportunity, at least until one
actually enters. The competition fee is only $20 for up to 5 prints, but
how much does each entry cost the photographer to prepare? I'd guess
that they expect 11x14 or 12x16 prints matted, mounted and framed to
16x20 or 20x24... and I'd estimate easily the photographer easily
spending $300 for each entry. Sure they are returned at the end but it's
still a big outlay just to enter, and it ends up being money wasted if
you cannot enter them or sell them elsewhere.

I speak from experience... a few years ago I put five or six photos
(12x16 cibas matted and framed) on a cafe wall. Looked good, cafe was
pleased, none sold, I got stuck with them. (Cafe environments are not
clean either, they were filthy after six months hanging.). That little
bit of "warm and fuzzy" cost me a couple of hundred dollars. Recently I
entered a local craft show and entered 15 postcard-sized prints matted
but unframed and three sold (priced at $15 each, not a bit return didn't
cover costs). I'm entering another craft show soon and this time I'm
entering A5 cards done on my inkjet printer. Cheap-ish to make and I can
use them myself for gifts, promotional material etc. My walls are full already.

This whole competition thing is a trap for younger players -- and
ownership of the copyright is the least of the problem. People don't
realise how expensive photography is to do... except of course the
competition organisers.

Vaughan