[OM] Gotta OM4!

Subject: [OM] Gotta OM4!
From: Vince Arnold <vea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 00 19:24:57 -0800
Greetings all;

I recently bought a mint OM2 with a 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 200/3.5, offbrand
zooms and 2x teleconverter, 310 auto flash, ER case, and manuals, for
345$ US.  It had a few problems with sync speed, so the vendor had it
repaired and adjusted at his cost. I was quite pleased with what I think
was a good deal.

I took it out for a few weeks, loaded with slide film , to get a feel for
it.   I soon found that  I always used it in manual mode, as I have been
using an OM1 for many years, and prefer to substitute meter on a mid tone
and then turn off the meter.  No gain using the OM2, but then I had
bought it mainly for the TTL flash.  After I got back some flash shots, I
saw that almost all shots had hideous redeye, owing to the  low profile
of the QA310. Darn, back to my trusty Vivitar 283.

Well it seemed that I would probably go back to my old setup, having
gained naught with the new kit.
I promptly let it be known the few local Oly  converts it was all for
sale. (All two of them). One of them will take the body, 50, and flash
for what I paid for it.

Meanwhile,  a local minilab owner referred a local newspaper man my way.
it seemed he had dusted off his old OM kit to use for work, but had all
his lenses stolen in a move some years back. He had 2 OM1s, and an OM4 he
had bought solely for the 50/1.2 attached to it. He was very desirous of
my 100/2.8 lens (my favorite!!) and offered  to buy it from me(no way!!)
He then offered up his OM4 as a trade. He claimed he never used the OM4,
as he  liked the full manual way. I was going to find him another 100/2.8
to help him out, but he then cleverly left the OM4 with me for a couple
of days to play with.

DEAL DONE!! This camera was it for me. I loved the spot metering, and
being able to compare, instantly, all  the other tones. That, and the
fact no more lost diopters and flash shoes (I've lost 2 of each in the
last year). I met him for coffee and we did the deal. I gave him my 100
and a 28/3.5 with hood and case. We both went away very pleased.

There was one thing wrong with the 4, it would lock up frequently. I put
in new batteries , but it was still
doing it. It turned out that the screws holding on the base plate were
loose, which would break the electrical circuit. ( a repair even I could
handle).  It has now been working flawlessly for over a month now, with
no excessive battery usage. (whew)

 Any how, I highly recomend the OM4 to even those diehard, set it my
self, no bells kind of OMers. My OM1s won't get used as much any more,
but I'll never part with them.

Regards to all,  (sorry 'bout the blah blah length)
Vince

(BTW, I'll be needing a 100 soon, TOM?)