Re: [OM] Delaminating

Subject: Re: [OM] Delaminating
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:33:58 +1000
Here in Sydney Australia,  1980's vintage Rodenstock large format lenses had
the unfortunate habit of delaminating. Nearly every one you cared to look at
had silvery bloom (by the light of the silvery bloom...) visible just beneath
the front element. I'm talking 360mm lenses for studio work... the bloom could
cover 25% to 330f the aperture.
Apparently it never happend anywhere else in the world except Australia! Their
owners always claimed it made no difference to image quality, because the lens
was used stopped down to f16 anyway. I avoided them and used Schneider -- that
was back when I was into 4x5. I've never seen a Schneider lens delaminate. And
except for architecture, I never made a decent image with large format. My OM1
and OM2 really match my way of working and seeing.

BTW although I agree that a tripod is necessary for optimum sharpness, I reckon
that takes away the No. 1 advantage of 35mm photography: mobility especially
with fast lenses. My fave setup was OM2n + MD1 + NICd pack + 21f2.0 I could
shoot from dawn to dusk with 100 asa film.

Vaughan

PS thanks for the 50/1.8 info and all the lens tests! Is this info in the
FAQ... and where is the FAQ?

From: Mike Bloor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>:

A long time ago I was told that the test for this was to look through the
lens at a point close to (but not at) the sun.  Any separation in a glued
group should show up as a white cloud.

As I have never found a lens with this fault, I don't know if it works, but
I always check any lens I buy in this way.