RE: [OM] Vivitar 400mm F5.6

Subject: RE: [OM] Vivitar 400mm F5.6
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:58:13 -0500
Warren's info on the Vivitar's is correct.
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

> I would like to know if someone have some information one a Vivitar 400mm
>  F5.6. Is it a good lens?  Is it better than a Sigma 400mm F5.6? I checked
> some
>  lens test page but found nothing about this lens. Also, what price should
>  pay for it?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  François

I still have one of these somewhere.  This lens is about 25 years old I
believe and came out at about the same time as a Vivitar TX lens.  Check to
see if it is a TX adaptable lens as the TX version was sharper than the
non-TX.  The TX version had resolution in the range of 37 to 47 lpm and
moderate contrast at that level.  This version also had internal focusing so
was much better close-up.  I also had a Sigma 400/5.6 (gray Zen finish
internally focusing model) which was sharper and contrastier but sold it
because it was just about the same as the Zuiko 300/4.5 with the 1.4X
converter.  The Sigma lens are ranked as follows in increasing sharpness and
contrast: 400 regular focus, 400 internal focus, 400 APO, and 400 APO/Macro.

I have seen the Vivitar go for $150 on eBay but think it is overpriced at
that level and would rather have a Sigma at a similar price.

Warren