[OM] Tripods

Subject: [OM] Tripods
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:41:35 -0000
Hi all,

I know I'm revsiting a topic that has been aired recently - apologies, I
remember the general thrust but not the details. Any advice appreciated...

I'm looking for a decent tripod. The ?Russian? cheapie that I've had for
years is fine with a body and 50/1.8 for a group shot, but is simply not up
to the task of supporting the big teles. The 600 with 2x converter made the
moon look like it was doing press-ups.

When Acer asked about this a few months back, the concensus seemed to be
that Manfrotto (here) / Bogen (US) were a good bet. And a newish Velbon
looked promising. Can anyone throw a few model numbers on the list so I can
go and study specs, price lists and so on please?

I was offered a used Benbo with a Manfrotto head for GBP70 (=USD100ish) last
week. Eejit that I am, by the time I had paused for thought it had gone!

Thanks in anticipation
John