Re: [OM] scanning transparencies

Subject: Re: [OM] scanning transparencies
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:26:41 -0600 (CST)
I started this thread on film scanners.  Based on the replies I've
received, and my own research, I've narrowed the field to 3 (actually, 1
plus 2 also-rans).  Please note that the rankings are based on my
peculiar needs.  Your milage may vary.

Here are the three scanners at the top of my list.  The HP is almost
certainly the one I'll buy - but I'm willing to have someone try to
convince me otherwise.  FOR ME - key features are: USB, print scanning.

HP PhotoSmart S20 Film Scanner
  (note that this is the second version - ther earlier version was
   simply "HP PhotoSmart").

  * USB
  * 2400 dpi transparencies (35mm slides & negs)
  *  300 dpi print (up to 5"x7")
  * 36 bit (12+12+12)
  * Windows only

Nikon CoolScan III (LS-30) Film & Slide Scanner
  (note: appears to be an improvement over the LS-20; both LS-20 and
   LS-30 are scaled back versions of the LS-2000)

  * SCSI II (card included - useless on my laptop, but I presume that the
             right set of cables will work with my SCSI CardBus)
  * 2700 dpi transparencies (35mm slides & negs)
  * does NOT scan prints
  * 30 bit (10+10+10)
  * "dust&scratch removal" hardware/software
  * Windows + Mac

Canon CanoScan FS2710 Scanner

  * SCSI II (card included - useless on my laptop, but I presume that the
             right set of cables will work with my SCSI CardBus)
  * 2720 dpi transparencies (35mm and APS slides & negs)
  * does NOT scan prints
  * 36 bit (12+12+12)
  * Windows + Mac