Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:54:45 -0700
At 09:47 PM 3/16/00 -0600, Gary Edwards wrote:

>Sam, never heard of any problems shooting onboard airliners at any time - I've
>done it often.  The bunk about no electronic devices below 10,000 ft is exactly
>that, bunk.  Only problems ever documented were from FM radio recievers, whose
>intermediate frequency is close enough to navigation frequencies to conceivably
>cause some interference.  Cell phones are prohibited for a different reason
>entirely - cell switching logic can only accomodate on-ground transmissions.  I
>chuckle each time the flight attendants announce that the devices are
>prohibited
>until the captain taxies to the gate.  If he needs his VOR navigation radio set
>to find the terminal, he has bigger problems.

For those of you who are fans of the U.S. television show "The West Wing" (I
know *I* am!), the premiere episode had a humourous exchange between a flight
attendant and the White House Communications Director while preparing for
landing in Washington, D.C., the spirit of which, as I recall, went something
like this:

Flight Attendant: "I'm sorry, sir, but you can't use your cell phone while in
this aircraft."

Communications Director: "This is an MD-11 aircraft; it rolled off the line 20
months ago.  It contains an AV-5 avionics package including an advanced
navigation system.  Are you actually trying to tell me I can flummox this thing
with something I bought at Radio Shack?"

Flight Attendant: "I'm *sorry,* sir, but you can't use your cell phone while in
this aircraft.  It interferes with our navigational equipment."

Communications Director: "You realize how stupid you sound when you say that,
don't you?"

Loved that exchange.  ;-)

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
  than a good day doing just about
  anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

    http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/