[OM] OM4 problem?

Subject: [OM] OM4 problem?
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:23:04 -0000
Hi all,

I have a problem with an OM4, could I throw it at the list's gurus for
advice please?

I'm getting unsharp images. This is unheard of with Zuikos of course, so
something must be wrong. I think the problem is that the focussing screen is
misaligned and so the focussing is out of kilter, i.e. when it looks sharp
in the finder, it isn't sharp on the film. The effect is most pronounced
with short lenses and long subject distances - so the 100mm at f/2 and
closest subject is beautiful, but the 28 and 35 at "infinity" are distinctly
fuzzy. From the look of pics which cover a range of distance, the parts in
focus on the film are nearer than they are in the viewfinder.

I've tried it with a few different screens (including a new 2.4, absolutely
beautiful, better than a Beattie and half the price) and made sure they are
properly seated, and it makes no difference. As far as I know the lenses are
fine, I'm going to run the same tests on another body to make sure.

So, here's a little exam:

1) Is the above diagnosis plausible?

2) If so, is it repairable in practice? The body was cheap with no guarantee
from a friend who had had it sitting in a cupboard for a few years, so if it
has to be relegated to status of fetish object to be admired it's not a huge
loss.

3) I am in the UK so dispatching it for John H's tender ministrations does
not sound very practical. Anybody know of reputable or approved repairers,
preferably in southern England so I can do a day trip rather than trusting
the post? Yes, I could ring Oly customer services to ask, but ,sadly,
getting them to answer a telephone is a labour of Herculean proportions!

Thanks in anticipation
John