Re: [OM] (Fwd) Anybody Used any of these Lenses or know anything about?

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Anybody Used any of these Lenses or know anything about?
From: "JOHN SCHEUERER" <jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 19:44:56 EST
Hi! My name is John and I'm new to the web.I bought the Samyang 18mm- 28mm f4.0 last summer from Cameta Camera for $150.00.I like shooting wide angle occasionally and this lense was reasonably priced for my OM2000 + highly rated.I saw somewhere a reference to a test in Pop Photo which was done a couple years back on this lense but have sinse lost the month/year. If I come across it again I'll send it to you. Meanwhile I've been shooting on a regular basis with it. My humble opinion on the lense--it's great.I mostly complain about not having a wider flash in low light areas because of occasional vignetting. outdoors on sunny days or well lit indoors it performs just fine. I may pick up a Zuiko 18mm someday,but for now, this will do swell.Here is a portion from the lense pamphlet. "The 18-28mm automatic two-touch lense has two rotating rings on the lens barrel which performs both zooming and focusing operations. it is a true zoom lense which means that focusing can be done at any focal length without having an effect on your focusing as the lense is zoomed to different positions.For most critical focus with these lenses,your lense should first be set to the longest focal length of the zoom range[28mm],focused to the sharpest image in the view finder and then zoomed back to the desired composition.The larger image and shallower depth of feild at the longest focal setting in the zoom range will help you to get more critical focusing. Naturally,your lense may be focused at any point within the zoom range,but focusing at the shortest focal setting and zooming up should be avoided unless focus is re-checked before shooting." By the way it's an 18 to 28mm f4.0 to 4.5 and it also says phoenix/samyang on the edge of lense hood . It has ft and mm markings and half click f stops and as viewed through the viewfinder also focuses clockwise to infinity. I think that it is a very well built lense. Heavy! cheers! >From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>