[OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)

Subject: [OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:33:49 -0800
AS to expiration dates on K25 and the like ... well I'm certainly no expert.  I
just do what
I see more experienced photographers do.  I've always stored film in the
freezer since I
first get it.  It's been many years since I shot K25.  I've always like its
tones and always
had it processed by either the old Kodak plant on Page Mill Rd. in Palo Alto,
or at A&I in
LA.  Since Kodak only operates one plant in New Jersey that I am aware of I
guess they do
all their mailer processing in NJ.  This film was at atleast 4 years old maybe
even 6 years
old.  Once it gets a few years past it exp. date, I really don't bother paying
attention to
it.  Well the color on the macro work I did on the K25 all shot with T10 Ring
Flash, blew me
away.  I was so impressed with it that I took it over to the most experienced
photograher I
know in San Diego (a formaer Pres of ASMP).  He just said that was as good of
color on
microprocessors as he ever saw before on any film.  He just thought the
combination of lens,
flash and film just came through.  He seemed to say that when K25 is stored and
processed
correctly color should be as good as any other film if not much better.  It's
been many
years since I've used a mailer.  Most of the Kodachrome goes to A&I in LA.
However I have
not shot K25 since the 1980's and that was for copy work  from historical
posters & prints.
At the time I shot it on a copy stand in natural light.  I've found some of
those slides and
the color is excellent too.  But these new slides just jump off the light
table.  It's has
the most punch and 3-D effect of any chips I've ever shot. (and I've shot tons
of 'em) Again
I alwasys used one of the Ektachromes before.  So I'm going to get some more
rolls of K25
with mailers (about $11.00 from B&H for 36 exp ... can't beat that).  So
eventually I will
see if this was some fluke or was for real.  Of course I won't wait 4 to 6
years.  We'll
see.

Phillip Franklin