Re: [OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)
From: "Woodruff" <swaool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:54:15 -0500
Simon E. wrote:

> Kodachrome does alter with age - either from magenta to cyan or the other
> way, I forget which.

My experience has been that it goes to cyan, and that the length of time
elapsed between exposure and processing is at least as critical if not more
so than the "age" of the emulsion itself.  Have several rolls of what would
have been beautiful stuff I shot back in the 70s, which had to wait several
months between exposure and processing because I was a starving student at
the time.  All shifted to cyan; film itself was within a few months of, but
not at, expiration when exposed.

> I gave up on Kodachrome after too many processing problems. If you saw the
> trannies you'd see why - they're horrible :-(

You and me both (and many others I've talked too).  Too many Kodascratches,
Kodadust, Kodasplotches, etc.  Plus agonizingly slow turnaround (at least
here in the southern USA), higher cost, narrow exposure latitude, loss of
shadow detail, etc. etc., ad nauseum.  No thanks.

Sincerely,

Mike Woodruff
Largo, FL  USA