[OM] Re: Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !
From: nfoltz <nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 08:55:53 -0800
Cc: hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Phillip,

>  what actual lens did you  reverse?

The OM-SYSTEM S ZUIKO AUTO-ZOOM 35~70mm 1:3,5~4.5 lens that I purchased new for
seventy dollars
a few years ago at a RITZ camera store in Santa Ana California.

> Your gizmo for getting the Ring Flash onto a reversed lens sounds pretty good.

> What type of glue did you use to secure the drilled out rear lens cap to the
> step-up adapter?

DEVCON 5 minute epoxy glue which is available in small "tooth-paste" type tubes
is the best type
of glue
for this purpose.

> You would think some company would make devices like this for
> those who use a reverse lens adapter.

Yes, but I've never seen anything like this manufactured.

> I'm just getting around to figuring out a secure way
> of putting the Ring Flash onto the bellows when the lens mount and lens are
> reversed.

It is a wonderful way to protect the exposed rear element of the reversed lens
and to mount
the T-10 Ring Flash at the perfect distance for extreme macro photos !

>  Also when you reverse the lens this way how do you control the diaphram?

Examine the rear lens and take note of  the distance of arc that the black
metal stop-down
linkage must travel to complete close down the aperture blades.  Look at its
position in the
open
position relative to the flange of the bayonet mount.  Now look at the inside
of the black
plastic
lens protector cap (that has been drilled out with a 1 inch diameter hole).  I
used DEVCON 5
minute
epoxy glue to attach a small black metal carpet tack even with the opposing
plastic flange to
that
attaching the back protector closes down the lens stop.  The little carpet tack
was just ideal
for
this purpose because fits into the circular cap so that the flat head is
perpendicular to the
tangent
of the arc.

>  K25   B&H has it and at a great price.  That roll I had sitting in
> the freezer had a expiration date of June 1996.  It worked just fine.  So
> maybe it's not a
> bad idea to buy a few extra rolls and store it in the freezer just so that
> it's at hand when
> you need it.

-- Good idea !  B&H just sent me a new catalog yesterday, too.

> It seems that with the 35-70/f3.5-4.5 I crank out the bellows about half way.

    Thanks,  I will try this out sometime.  But my favorite macro rig so far is
the
Zuiko 35~70 reversed ontop of the Vivitar zoom extension doubler with this back
protector
gizmo and the T-10 Ring Flash.

-- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>