Re: [OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome (was "Zuiko 35-70 is great for Macro !)
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:16:35 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Joel Wilcox wrote:

|My biggest complaint about the consumer Kodachrome (in the past -- I don't
|know about the new "Select" version) is that you never knew whether it
|would bias toward green (cyan?) or magenta.  I had always thought I might
|experiment with a batch and check it when it is fresh, a year from
|expiration, 6 months from expiration, and at expiration -- just to see how
|long to "ripen" it before chucking it in the freezer.
|
|Has anybody ever done what I'm suggesting with Kodachrome?

My understanding (and my practice) is that Kodak designs their
"consumer" films to mature about six months before the expiration
date.  Consequently, I leave consumer films on the shelf until "minus
six months" then freeze them if I'm not ready to use them yet.  I have
been doing this for years now, and I haven't had a problem with film
color since I started this practice.